This candy-studded tart is like a giant homemade Reese’s cup, complete with Kit Kats, Candy Corn, and Reese’s Pieces, too. It’s an absolute must if you’re hosting a party this year, or for bringing to your co-workers as a sweet and festive treat. A combination of Oreo cookies and melted butter form the super-simple base, which is topped with a creamy peanut butter center and a silky-smooth chocolate ganache. Feel free to use any candy you have on hand, but be sure to choose at least one variety that will add a pop of color. Chill until firm (which will make it easier to slice), then dig in.
Trick Or Treat Tart
- Makes: 11” tart (Serves 8-10)
- Hands-On Time: 30 min
- Total Time: 1 hr 10 min
- September 2016
- 24 chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreos)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup cream cheese, room temperature
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- ½ cup creamy peanut butter
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Kit Kat, Reeses Pieces, Candy Corn, Snickers, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups, etc.
- Heat oven to 350 F. Add cookies to a food processor and process until finely crushed. Add 4 tablespoons melted butter and pulse again until moist crumbs form. Scrape crumbs into a 11” tart pan and press into an even layer covering the bottom and sides. Bake for 10 minutes, until crunchy and firm. Set aside to cool.
- Make filling: Combine the cream cheese, 2 tablespoons softened butter, confectioners’ sugar, peanut butter, salt and ½ teaspoon vanilla in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Scrape mixture into cooled tart shell and spread into an even layer. Transfer to freezer to chill for 10 minutes, until set.
- Make chocolate ganache: Bring cream to a simmer in a small saucepan. Stir in the chocolate chips, ½ teaspoon vanilla, and corn syrup until smooth. Remove from heat and let cool slightly. Pour ganache over the chilled tart and spread until the surface is smooth and evenly covered. Let set briefly, about 5 minutes, then decorate surface with candy pieces. Transfer tart to freezer and chill until set, about 15 minutes.